Fuel efficiency is a problem that concerns fleet management. From time and time, fuel becomes more expensive and environmental concerns increase as well. One of the solutions to this problem is the use of alternative fuels.
There are a few alternatives to using conventional fuel (diesel or petrol) in your fleet. Some vehicles in the UK are already using them, whilst other vehicles may require adjustments so that they can make use of other fuel options.
Why use Alternative Fuel?
Whatever type of vehicle you are driving, here are some reasons why alternative fuel promotes fuel efficiency:
- Most alternative fuels are sustainable
- They are less expensive to use
- They don’t come from finite fossil-fuel resources
- They have lower vehicle emissions
- They produce less environmental impact
Alternative Fuels in Transportation
There are several types of alternative fuels that can be used in transportation:
- Biodiesel – a fuel made by chemically reacting alcohol with vegetable oils, fats and recycled restaurant greases.
- Propane- often called liquefied petroleum gas or (LPG) it is a by-product of natural gas processing and crude oil refining. It is clear, non-corrosive, odourless and non-toxic.
- Hydrogen- a gas that can be created through electrolysis, this fuel alternative is a clean and renewable energy source.
- Methanol- also known as wood alcohol, this can be used as an alternative fuel in flexible fuel vehicles.
Alternative fuels can considerably reduce the problems related to fuel efficiency. However, since fuel is the second largest expenditure in fleet management, it is still essential to precisely track your costs. This is an effective way of monitoring and reducing your fuel consumption.
ALD Automotive is the second largest provider of vehicle leasing and fleet management solutions in Europe. Offering different fuel management solutions for fleets in the UK, we provide comprehensive online management reporting that enables you to immediately track transactions by vehicle or by cost centre. We also have a Fuel Deduction Programme that is administered via an online portal. To learn more about the ALD Automotive vehicle funding and management services please contact us on 037000 111 81.